Our team of dedicated staff lives our mission of improving the health status of the children and families of Hawaii by demonstrating EXCELLENCE in the delivery of all of our services.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Behavioral Instructional Support Professional works collaboratively with the DOE and all members of a student’s educational team. Teaming and collaboration among instructional team members is critical in the development and implementation of appropriate educational services for students exhibiting a combination of needs.
The Behavioral Instructional Support Professional also provides Parent Education/Training. He/she supports the parents or legal guardians (where the child resides) in understanding the special needs of their student who is exhibiting a possible needs in severe social, communication and behavioral deficits.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
- Doctorate, Master’s degree or Bachelor’s in Special Education, Speech and Language Pathology, Psychology or Social Work
- Experience requirement: direct service working with a variety of students who exhibit severe social, communication and behavioral deficits.
- Doctorate from a nationally accredited university– 2 years of experience
- Master’s from a nationally accredited university– 3 years of experience
- Bachelor’s from a nationally accredited university– 5 years of experience
- LMHC – 3 years of experience
- Bachelors/Masters with BCBA/LBA – 3 years of experience
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Strong clinical skills and experience demonstrating excellence in problem-solving, collaboration and clinical competencies in providing services to students with disabilities and their families.
- Prior experience working with students with severe social, communication and behavioral deficits.
- Able to lead and direct , paraprofessionals in various environments, such as schools, homes and community
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Able to give and receive instruction or direction to/from others.
- Able to respond effectively to the varied needs of the students, families, DOE staff and other multidisciplinary team members.
- Must be able to drive throughout the island
OTHER POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- This position is subject to an annual criminal background investigation and continued employment is contingent on a record clear of convictions.
- This position requires to be credentialed by Hawaii Department of Education
- This position requires certification of an annual TB examination.